You will notice for the past 10 days I have been dropping some stats on Twitter about Social Media in 2020 so I thought I would do a post and go a little bit more in-depth.
Social media is definitely worth using for your business, but what platform is best to use to reach your target audience? With popular social platforms growing daily, the audience for each has the tendency to change over time. Whether you’ve been using social media for your business for years or are just getting started, it’s important to base your strategy on hard stats. As it’s the beginning of the year, we thought we would share the most important social media usage stats in 2020 for the biggest platforms, to help you create your best strategy yet.
Since it began, Facebook has been shaping the social media landscape. With over 2.32 billion active users (those who have used it in the last 30 days), it is the most widely used platform. It is also the second-most popular site in the world (behind Google) with an average time per visit of 10:57.
Here are a few stats on its users:
- Roughly 74% of Facebook users access the platform daily, and 51% visit multiple times per day.
- Facebook users spend 38 minutes per dayusing the platform.
- Roughly 44.86 million residents> of the UK used Facebook as of December 2019. Interestingly, this number is slightly down from November 2019, when a reported 45.17 million people used it.
- A crazy 94% of adults in the UK between the ages of 25 to 34 have their own profile, according to Ofcom.
- Facebook’s gender split is 56% male and 44% female, with 24% percent of global active Facebook users being women between the ages of 18 and 34 years and 35% of global active Facebook users being men between the ages of 18 and 34 years.>
Facebook is also widely used by businesses:
- 95% of businesses worldwide use Facebook.
- 6 billion people are connected to small businesses on Facebook.
- People and businesses exchange more than 10 billion messages per month.
- After messaging a brand on Facebook, 66% of people feel more confident about the brand, and 55% feel more personally connected to the brand.
There are more than 1 billion monthly active users of Instagram worldwide, with roughly 60% of Instagram users accessing the platform every day. Interestingly, 500 million people use Instagram Stories daily (compared to the 150 million that use Facebook Stories). The platform is used most by a younger audience of 18-24 year olds>, with 22% of users visiting it several times a day.
Here are some business stats for Instagram:
- Instagram has more than 25 million business profiles.
- 74% of businesses worldwide use Instagram.
- 80% of users follow at least one business on Instagram, and more than 200 million people visit at least one business profile every day.
- A third of the most viewed Instagram stories are from businesses.
- 60% of Instagram users claim they’ve discovered at least one new product on the platform.
- Hashtags on Instagram are important with 70% being branded.
Whether you’ve been using social media for your business for years or are just getting started, it’s important to base your strategy on stats.
Twitter has been breaking down its stats for us. The platform has 321 million monthly active users, with roughly 46% of Twitter users visiting the platform daily, and 26% visiting multiple times per day. Around 500 million Tweets are shared per day, with 1.2 billion total video views per day (93% of those views are from mobile devices). Tweeting with a video is worthwhile, as a tweet with a video is 6 times more likely to be retweeted, and will get 10 times more engagement. Another easy way to get engagement is to use GIFs with Tweets, as they will get 55% more engagement than those without.
Here are some stats on UK Twitter Users:
- The gender breakdown usage is 60% male and 40% female.
- According to Statista, there are currently 13.7 million Twitter users in the UK.
- While often thought of as a platform for ‘older’ users, 45% of 16-22 year olds have an account.
- The majority of Twitter users in the UK are under the age of 34.
Businesses frequently use Twitter:
- 84% of businesses use Twitter.
- 85% of small-and-medium businesses with Twitter accounts say Twitter is important for customer service.
- 6 million people in the UK can be reached by advertising.
More than 1.9 billion logged-in users visit YouTube every month and it is the second-ranked social platform worldwide. Roughly 45% of YouTube users access the platform daily, and 29% visit multiple times per day. YouTube users watch more than a billion hours of video per day, with 70% of that watch-time coming from mobile phones. In the last two years, people have watched more than 50,000 years of product review videos. 61% of businesses worldwide use YouTube.
Pinterest has more than 250 million monthly active users. It remains more popular with women, as 41% of women use the platform, compared to just 16% of men. This could be as it is one of the most creative platforms, great for B2C businesses that sell products.
LinkedIn is a social network that focuses on professional networking and career development. 62% of businesses use LinkedIn, but 86% of B2B companies use the network. There are more than 30 million companies on LinkedIn, with more than 20 million open jobs. The top priority for businesses using LinkedIn in 2019 is to drive more leads (63%).